Monday, February 3, 2014

How to Dog Crate End Table


 
We have two small dogs that we adore. Ezzy and Daisy both like to sleep and hang out in their separate dog crates. Their crates are a happy place where treats are bestowed and not used for bad behavior. During the day, we leave the doors open so they can hang out if they want, at night the doors are closed, so they can sleep next to each other but still have their own space.
 
 

With limited space in the new house, I had to come up with an idea to disguise the two crates. I wanted the crates to be in the main living area of our house so they could go in and out of their crates when they wanted and still be a part of our family. Putting my thinking cap on I came up with the idea of a dual purpose End Table/Dog Crate Cover.
 
 
Placing the two crates side by side, I took measurements of the width, height, and depth. DBH then cut two sides, one back and a top all slightly larger than the actual measurements from his lumber stash. He pocket screwed the two sides to the back. You could use finishing nails/ regular screws and glue to attach the sides to the back. The top (with a 1” overhang) was then screwed to this three sided box that had no bottom. Small thin padded feet were nailed to the bottom of the sides making it easier to slide out of the corner for cleaning. 

 
My style is an eclectic mix of modern/repurposed. I painted the three sides pup tent green and stained the inside and top a dark brown. After the top dried, I waxed and polished it to give it a nice finish.  Because it was going to be an end table for our sofa, I wanted to dress up the side that faced out into the room. I pin nailed old wood advertising rulers to the side spacing them one thickness of a ruler apart. I wanted the wood tone of the rulers but you could use colored rulers to give it a pop of color.





Inside the crates, a standard size bed pillow fit perfectly. I put a waterproof cover over the pillow then made a simple “doggy” print fabric cover with zipper to dress up the bed pillow. This makes Doggie Laundry day a snap!
 Both Ezzy and Daisy love their new home and I love my new end table.
 
Karla
 
 

 
 
 
 







7 comments:

  1. Karla, this idea is fabulous! Very cute dog beds too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! This looks really good and is so functional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! This looks really good and is so functional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. I love reading through a post that will make men and women think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!
    dog crate with wooden cover

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. high anxiety dog crate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... The dog law is changing

    ReplyDelete